The Oranjezicht City Farm Market has re-opened! As of 25 April 2020, the market will be open every Saturday from 9am to 2pm, for essential shopping only.
In a statement on Facebook, the market organisers had this to say:
This means that you will be able to purchase grocery items to take home, including fresh produce, meat, fish, bread, cheese, olives and other delicious and nutritious offerings.
Before the COVID19 crisis, our Market was a place to get fresh and healthy food and a social gathering place as well, and hopefully it will be again soon. But as long as this crisis continues, our entire focus is on making our market as safe and efficient as possible, and we have implemented strict safety protocols.
This will not be the space that people know and love. There will be no seating and no cooked food or coffee. We are hopeful that, going forward, and as regulations permit, we will bring all of these wonderful offerings back to the Market.
We can’t thank you enough for supporting small farmers, as well as local bakers, cheesemongers, fishermen, butchers and other producers.
Only the main entrance will be open, not the entrance on Beach Road.
The following are the safety protocols that must be followed:
- In order to ensure safe distancing the number of shoppers will be limited
- For the safety of all, please wear a face covering.
- If you are not feeling well, please stay home.
- Please try to keep your visit as short a possible so others have a chance to shop. Plan your meals for a week, make a list ahead of time, and please don’t linger in the market if at all possible. Shop, don’t stop.
- Please bring your own clean re-usable bags and wash them with hot water and soap after every use.
- No cash. Only credit card and Snapscan will be accepted.
- Limit your party to 1 or 2 people. The smaller the group, the safer for everyone.
- In order to increase personal space, it is best if you leave your dog at home.
- You will see signs and cones designating 1.5m spaces in lines. Please stand near these cones to ensure a healthy social distance from your fellow shoppers. If you can’t find what you’re looking for, ask our friendly staff for help
- There will be hand sanitizer available in the market for your use. But nothing beats washing your hands.
- Avoid handling produce and food items you do not intend to buy. Staff will assist in selecting your produce.
- Wash your produce thoroughly when at home and sanitise.
- Also remember to disinfect your car: wipe the steering wheel, the door handles, the gears, any buttons that you had to use.
- All current Government rules and regulations apply.
Organisers have since added that this does not mean that you can drive in from far away, as that goes against general lockdown rules. If you’re not in the area, you might prefer to take advantage of their ‘Farmers Market Box’ collaboration with UCook – delivered on Thursday mornings in the greater Cape Town area.
(Photo: Oranjezicht City Farm Market)