What a week it has been. As anyone not living under a rock will know, the South Peninsula area has been completely devastated by the recent (and ongoing) wildfires in the area. There are a number of markets usually held in that area, and we are gathering intel on which of them have been affected – in some cases having to close temporarily until the fire is under control.
Here’s what we know so far:
- The Tokai Forest Market has been badly affected by the recent fire, with sections partially burnt and will be closed this Saturday 7 March 2015. They are in need of help in the form of donations or hands-on assistance to get the market back up and running. There is more information on their Facebook page. UPDATE: Market will be open on Saturday 14 March 2015.
- The Range Night Market (Tokai) will be closed Friday 6 March 2015 (not damaged, but closed as a precaution in case of fire flareups).
- The Cape Point Vineyards Market (Noordhoek) was happily not reached by the fire and will be on as usual on Thursdays.
- The Earth Fair Food Market (Tokai) was not directly affected by the flames, and will be trading as usual, but one of their regular stallholders (The Ice Cream Guys) had their home in Tokai gutted completely. If you would like to help by giving donations to help the family to get back on their feet – details are here.
- The Vlei Market (Muizenberg) will be collecting donations for the Lakeside Fire Station at their market this Saturday (7 March 2015).
If you have any more information about markets that will not be operating as usual over the next week or two because of fire damage, or fire proximity, please let us know, and we will add that information to the list. Also, if any markets will be hosting donation drives in support of families affected by the fires, or for volunteer groups dealing with the fire and its aftermath, we can add that detail as well.
Here’s hoping for a calm fire-free weekend ahead, so that our brave firefighters can catch their breath and get some much needed rest.
(Photo is from the Tokai Forest Market Facebook page – of some of the damage done to the market. View the full gallery here.)
Subscribe To Our Newsletter
Join our mailing list to receive our weekly Friday newsletter with all the latest news and updates from the market scene!